Kimberly "Kimber" Benton
Songwriter, keyboardist, synthesizers and backup vocals for the Holograms
Kimber is probably the most important character in the series next to Jem. She's in her late teens (it's unknown exactly how old she is but she's still a teenager). She might be 18 years old like Princess Adriana from the episode The Princess and the Singer.
She's shown to be creative, sensitive, extreme in her emotions, beautiful, impulsive, loyal and a little rebellious. For example, in Kimber's Rebellion, she was very angry when she thought Jem was getting all the attention among the band members and almost revealed Jem's secret identity.
She's prone to lose her temper and make decisions without thinking them through, proving her to be a bit naive. Kimber thinks with her heart rather than her head, and she's also a hopeless romantic. She flirts with lots of guys and seems to be very popular with men. Her most prominent boyfriends were Jeff Wright, Sean Harrison and Steve. Kimber had at least five boyfriends throughout the series, although she wasn't very serious about their relations; except for Sean, with whom she almost got married in Hollywood Jem (Part 2).
When Kimber was growing up, she felt upset about being the youngest member in the family. It wasn't until Lela arrived at Starlight House when that feeling went away, as Lela was younger. Both became great friends. When Kimber was nine, her mother died in a plane crash somewhere in the 1970s. Later in her life, like Shana and Aja, their late father left them instruments, a computer called Synergy, a car called the Rockin' Roadster, and clothes, and they formed the Holograms with Jerrica. She's the keyboard player, sings backup vocals and is the main songwriter of the band.
When Kimber left the band briefly, she went into a nightclub to ease her mind and there she met Stormer (who had also departed from her own band, the Misfits, that very same day). Thanks to the pleas of the club's owner and cheering of that night's attendants, they performed the song I'm Okay, with the Limp Lizards playing the rest of the instruments and providing backup vocals. The two girls became fast and best friends, and even recorded an album called Back to Back, which was a success and went Double Platinum. Despite Stormer going back to the Misfits and Kimber returning to the Holograms, both girls still maintained their strong friendship.
Kimber has blue eyes and red hair (which in some episodes may look pink). She wears different outfits throughout the series, but her most common is a white top, blue jeans and high heels.
She and her sister share a very strong bond and are very close, although sometimes Jerrica tends to look down on her and act more like a mother. They really do love each other, though. It's seen throughout the series, but actually mentioned in the episode Scandal, that she sometimes wishes Jem was her sister instead of Jerrica.
Kimber didn't like Aja when she was adopted by Emmett, but she grew on her over time. She thinks Aja can be cold at times, as revealed in the episode Scandal, although they really do care for each other.
It seems they care for each other, but she mentions that Shana can be really annoying when she shows insecurity about her talents (revealed in the episode Scandal). Still, she was really upset when Shana departed from the band in the episode The Talent Search (Part 1).
They haven't interacted much with each other throughout the series, but they do tend to pop off at each other in the episodes Kimber's Rebellion, Glitter and Gold, and Hollywood Jem (Part 1). They do express their friendship for each other and she wouldn't have imagined not inviting him to her wedding. They have worked together in some occasions, and are friendly to each other.
When both of their groups failed on them (The Bands Break Up), they met each other inside a nightclub, where the owner insisted both performed together. This started their friendship, which eventually leaded to the recording and success of their solo album, Back to Back, which included their one-hit single I'm Okay. Kimber and Stormer developed a real bond of friendship, realizing that Stormer was warm and nice and not necessarily a mean person as Pizzazz, Roxy or Jetta.
Kimber and Eric interact many times throughout the series. Sometimes it seems Eric is interested in her, maybe in a romantic way, since he always compliments her and tries to put her against Jem (Starbright (Part 1)). There are other moments when Eric offers her to ally with him, usually with the hidden intent to regain control of Starlight Music. In general, Kimber despises Eric.
Songs sung by Kimber
- Kimber was the first hologram to become friends with one of the Misfits.
- Kimber was shown to have been a "daddy's girl", and grieved over her father's death more than her mother's.
- Kimber is good with animals and also has talent for swimming and diving.
- Kimber is often kidnapped.
- In The Rock Fashion Book, it's revealed that Kimber likes dolphins and that she's afraid of heights.
- The end of her keytar has an M-shaped handle, referencing to the fact that Jem's name was originally "M".
- In the early concept she was named Aja. Aja's original name was Jade.
- Kimber, Aja and Ashley shared the same voice-actor, Cathianne Blore.
- She has had more love interests over the series than all the other characters in the show.
- Other than Jem and Raya, she's the only member in the band to almost tell Jem's secret.
- A Kimber look-alike appears in the Transformers cartoon episode B.O.T. (Season 2, Ep. 49). The only differences being her hair is dark-red and she wears a red top, purple pants and yellow shoes. A Jerrica look-alike also appears near her.
- Kimber is the Holograms' songwriter.
- Kimber is the youngest band member.
- Kimber and Jerrica have a slight family resemblance (both have blue eyes).
- She dresses like a prince.
- Kimber was the first Hologram seen on TV.
- Kimber has a doppelganger, Princess Adriana, seen in episode 19, The Princess and the Singer.